Prevention is better than cure ! This is why a medical record is recomanded before the departure.
Our journey will take us in the province of Siem Reap where the climate conditions and hygiene can sometimes seem difficult . However, if you choose accommodation in hotels selected by SDPO , there is no fear . To complete your sporting adventure , we require a medical certificate to this test , imperatively signed by a sports medicine specialist and we strongly recommend you to follow these tips:
If no vaccine is required to enter Cambodia, we recommend your safety to have this vaccination up date :
DT POLIO UPDATE (1 dose every 10 years)
HEPATITIS AVi typhoid Typhim:1 dose every 3 years
Depending of the region, Cambodia is classified Zone 2 or Zone 3; recommended prophylaxis involves Malarone. We suggest you to take a Malarone (r)’s pill the night before departure, then daily until 8 days after returning to your contry.Note: The risk of malaria is not here during journey in the province of Angkor.
Hygiene and clean water are still very rudimentary in Cambodia, the transmission of many diseases is easy. Therefore it is essential to follow these simple rules of hygiene and safe:
A / WATER
Drink bottled mineral water, opened in front of you.
B / FOODFood should be eaten cooked and served hot. You should note eat, drink any crudités, ice or fruit juice sold in the streets.Fruits should be washed with mineral water or peeled just before consumption. Wash hands carefully before each meal (wipes can be useful)
At this time of year, the temperature is pleasant and you will not be bothered by any moisture. However bring some loose fitting clothing, this will also be useful against insect bites if you go for walks in the jungle after the race. Also pay attention to air conditioning in hotels because it can get cool when you get outside.
TIPS AGAINST SUN AND HEAT
Drink plenty of water (before, during and after) the race.
In addition to this recommendation, suggest you to:
– Running with the a camelback
– Salt tablets: no more than 1 to 2 g / day (see also energy drink proposed by SDPO)
– UV filter sunglasses
– Soothing Eye Drops after irritation of the sun, (for people subject to these inconveniences).
– Lip Balm
– Whenever possible, keep a shirt on during the race itself: the wet suit will keep humidity
– on the skin
– Recommended Cap (required) + neck protection
– Dental Control
– Gynecological Control
– Consultation at the general to establish a medical kit, and an order summarizing the medicines you will take.
DEHYDRATION AND HYPERTHERMIA SPORT seen by SDPO
Human body is made up of 2/3 of water, about 70% in the cells, 20% in the space between the cells and 10% in the bloodstream. A shortage of water in the body can have multiple consequences.
– Neurological, as a confusional state and inclunding coma.
– Cardiovascular, with low blood pressure, or hypovolemia
– Acute renal failure
Sweat is a mixture of water and various mineral salts (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chlorine …)
The loss of sweat during exercise can grow from 1 to 3.7 liters per hour in an athlete depending on atmospheric conditions. Those losses must be balance by dinking every 15 minutes energy drinks and water.
For athletes, in addition to these serious diseases, dehydration can cause cramps, tendonitis, muscle contractures, digestive disorders or decreased performance. These mild symptoms can serve as warning signals.
Heat stroke during exercise, or malignant hyperthermia is less known by athlete, but their consequences are associating a severe neurological syndrome, cardiovascular and hyperthermia life-threatening. Its occurrence is favored by prolonged stress, failure hydration, and weather conditions combining heat and humidity.
you must drink before feeling thirsty.
PREVENTING HEAT STROKE
Enjoy every refueling point, you have to refresh your body, drink and take in account weather conditions (heat, humidity).
MEDICAL KIT: for example:
– Antidiarrhétiques and antiemetic (vomiting) like Imodium and Ercefuryl
– Ointment antihistamine (allergy to insect bites)
– Eye Drops
– Antiseptic ENT (air conditioning)
– Insect screen skin and tissue (lab Self Travel), or Five / five tropical
– Compresses impregnated with antiseptic
– Dressings, paraffin gauze, Compeed, Bandages
– High protection sunscreen or sunblock + Biafine
– Small scissors + splinter forceps
– Pharmacy (pill) + intimate drugstore for these ladies
– Your medicines sufficient if you follow treatment
– If you wear contact lenses or glasses, bring a pair of replacement
DO NOT TAKE DRUGS THAT DO NOT TOLERATE HEAT WELL (Suppositories, syrups, oral suspensions unstable).
This list may seem impressive, but be aware that we do not find any pharmacy in western Cambodia. FIDELIA Assistance, our medical partner can indeed provide all of these drugs.
Thank you for your attention
Jean Claude Le-Cornec
Founder of SDPO